It’s International Left-Handers Day 2015. I’m kinda proud of being left handed but life wasn’t as easy for lefties in the past as it may be now.
This video was a lot of fun to create, check it out to find out why!
Think about it:
- In the dark ages, left handed people were considered evil and burned or imprisoned
- The bible has 25 mentions of left or being left-handed, all negative
- Old paintings depicted the devil as a lefty
- Children as late as the 50’s were hit with wooden sticks or their left hands were tied to prevent them from writing with their left hand (this from my father’s own stories)
Still in today’s society, the word “left” implies weak or no good, while the word right or righteous, means often positive things.
- Left in Italian is Sinistra, the root word for “sinister”
- The word left comes from the Anglo Saxon Lyft, which means weak or broken
Some trivia about the history of lefties is a little bit more positive
- The Incas believed left handed people possessed healing powers
- Some Natives of North America believed that being left-handed was a sign of luck
Some facts are silly and funny:
- More likely to pursue creative careers
- Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
- Better at multi-tasking – well, of course
Then, there’s the crazy, bizarre trivia surrounding lefties, like:
- More likely to have allergies, headaches or migraines
- Three times more likely to become alcoholics
- Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
- More likely to suffer from stuttering
- Twice as likely to be men
- 39% more likely to be homosexual
- Adjust to seeing underwater quicker
- Less able to roll their tongue than a righty
The trivia and “facts” are endless but hopefully these will entertain you for now!