Self confidence and self esteem come from a good sense of who you are. This is why body image is directly related to self esteem. The less you know yourself, the easier it will be to cave in to negative ideas about your body. The more negative your perception of your own body is, the more negative you will feel about yourself. At one point or another, take a journey to learn about yourself. It is vital to help you learn to love, respect, and appreciate yourself—every part of yourself.
Your self esteem is your internal voice. It lies to you if you lie to yourself, but it will make you happy if you ask it of yourself. It is your ego at work. It is an indication of your sense of worth as a person physically, emotionally, morally, and intellectually.
Understanding and embracing your ego will help you understand yourself, learn about your personal likes and dislikes, and, ultimately, will help you build your self esteem. Use some of the following ideas to help you build self-confidence and self-esteem:
- Do not let others define who you are. Chances are that, deep inside, you know who you truly are. If you are having a hard time defining yourself, though, find ways to help yourself overcome it. Do not let other tell you who you are. No one knows who you are better than you.
- Be confident in your ability to do what you and others expect of you.
- Remember that you deserve to be happy. Remind yourself of that principle every morning and do not let anyone take that away from you.
- We all have rights. Learn about them, and enforce them when you think something is unfair or unjust.
- Once you have developed good morals and ideals that you firmly (without outside pressure) believe in, stand up for them.
- Respect your own needs. Recognize and take care of your own needs and desires first. Only then you will be strong enough to take care of others.
- Maintain a positive attitude. Keep looking at the “glass half full”.
- Set real and attainable goals for one aspect of your life at a time. Once you have mastered one area, you will have the confidence to move to another.
- Try something new. Take a chance at something you have never tried or take a different approach about something you have already done. Be aware that you may make mistakes, but, rest assured that those mistakes will only make you wiser and stronger.
- Focus on your strengths rather than on your weaknesses.